Get a quote
Self Assessment
Deadlines, Fines, Stress…A never ending problem?
Let Amity help you with your tax return!
We can help with either the preparation or review of your tax affairs.

Amity Accountants have a wealth of experience completing and reviewing tax returns and can ease your burden and give you peace of mind that HMRC won’t be chasing you down for further information, or worse, penalties, and interest.

Tougher penalties for late filing of Self-Assessment tax returns means that you need to think about getting your tax return in on time before the penalties start to add up.

Our simple process enables you to send us the information we require in a straightforward fashion and we’ll pull together your return and ask you any further questions and then send you the return to review prior to submission to HMRC.

Specialist Tax Planning Service

We also provide specialist tax planning advice if, for example, you are buying or selling an asset, considering letting out a property or moving to, or away from, the UK.

Who needs to complete tax returns?

You must complete a return if you’re any of the following:

  • A company director (unless you’re a director of a non-profit organisation, for example a charity, and don’t receive any payments or benefits)
  • A minister of religion (any faith)
  • A name or member of Lloyd’s

If you receive total income of £100,000 or more you’ll need to complete a tax return. You may have higher or additional rate tax to pay that hasn’t been collected through your tax code. This applies to Umbrella employees as well

If you are an employee or a pensioner and already pay tax through a PAYE code, you can sometimes ask for tax that you owe on income, such as savings and property, to be collected through your code number. You’ll need to complete a tax return instead if the income you receive is:

  • Have a Buy to Let Property / Properties
  • £10,000 or more from taxed savings and investments
  • £2,500 or more from untaxed savings and investments

If you don’t pay tax through a PAYE code you’ll need to complete a tax return if all of the following apply:

  • You have income to declare, for example income from savings, trusts or abroad, rental income from land or property
  • Your total income exceeds your total allowances and reliefs
  • You have tax to pay on this income

If you’re employed and want to claim expenses or professional subscriptions of £2,500 or more, you’ll need to complete a tax return. If you want to claim expenses below this amount, you can contact HMRC.

You can only claim certain reliefs, such as Enterprise Investment Scheme relief or relief on Venture Capital Trusts, by completing a tax return.

You must complete a tax return if all of the following apply:

  • Your income is over £50,000 a year
  • You live with a partner and your income is higher than theirs
  • You or your partner are entitled to receive Child Benefit (or get an equivalent amount from someone who claims Child Benefit for a child who lives with you)
  • You jointly decide to keep receiving Child Benefit and pay the new tax charge

You must complete a tax return if you have any foreign income that’s liable to UK tax.

You must complete a return if you receive income (or are treated as receiving income) on which tax is still due, for example from:

  • Annual trusts or settlements
  • The estate of a deceased person

If you have Capital Gains Tax to pay, for example you’ve sold, given away or otherwise disposed of an asset such as a holiday home or shares, you’ll need to complete a tax return and the Capital Gains Tax pages.

If you need further advice, have any questions about our services, would like a free consultation or a fixed fee quote